The Legendary Audubon Avenue After Uptowns John James Audubon

Audubon Avenue is an avenue in the Washington Heights neighborhood in Upper Manhattan.

Audubon Avenue runs north-south, west of, and parallel to Amsterdam Avenue.

Its southern terminus is at West 165th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue, and its northern terminus is at Fort George Avenue, just north of West 193rd Street.

It crosses over the Trans-Manhattan Expressway, east of the eastern portal of the expressway’s tunnel.

History

Audubon Avenue is named for naturalist John James Audubon, who owned a farm in the area.

The Fort George Amusement Park, now a seating area in Highbridge Park, was located at the northern end of Audubon Avenue from 1895 to 1914.

Related Articles

VIDEO


"The Clark Legacy Drs. Kenneth and Mamie Clark and their work," this post is made in partnership with Harlem Cultural Archives, get more at Harlem History.

Leave a Reply