By Jeffrey Perry
Become an Harlem World Insider - Sign-Up For Our Newsletter!
One hundred years ago, on June 12, 1917, Hubert Harrison founded the Liberty League of Negro-Americans at a rally attended by thousands at Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, 52-60 W. 132nd Street in Harlem. Continue Reading →
On July 4, 1917, The Voice: A Newspaper for the New Negro—the first newspaper of the “New Negro Movement,” edited by Hubert H. Harrison—made its debut at a rally at the Metropolitan Baptist Church at 120 W. 138th Street (we have the address at 151 W 128th Street), between Lenox and Seventh Avenues in Harlem.