Registration Centers Now Open From Harlem To Hollis

September 2, 2017

Now through September 15, 2017, the DOE has opened eight temporary Registration Centers across the City to make it easier for new students to enroll in school, and to assist families who may have questions about enrollment. These sites are open in addition to Family Welcome Centers, which are open year round. The Registration Centers are open from Wednesday, August 30 through Friday, September 15 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Centers are closed on September 4 for Labor Day.  

PRE-K AND 3-K: The DOE will have specially trained staff at each Registration Center and Family Welcome Center to help families looking to enroll their child in pre-K. Free, full-day, high-quality pre-K seats are still available. Families can search for pre-K programs with availability on the Pre-K Finder ( or by calling 718-935-2009. Families interested in 3-K for All seats may also find more information

ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOLNew elementary and middle school students with a zoned school should contact their zoned school to set up an appointment to register; these students do not need to visit a Registration Center or Family Welcome Center to enroll. Families can find their zoned schools by or calling 311. New elementary and middle school students whose address does not have a zoned school should visit a Registration Center or Family Welcome Center.

HIGH SCHOOL: New high school students who are not currently enrolled in a school must register at a Registration Center or Family Welcome Center.

Students with a non-New York City IEP should visit a Registration Center or Family Welcome Center. Families who think their student may need a specialized school to meet their special education needs should contact or visit a Committee on Special Education (CSE). For CSE contact information and locations, call 311 or

All locations provide over-the-phone interpretation and live interpretation services in select languages. All forms and parent materials are available in English and translated into nine languages (ArabicBengali,ChineseFrenchHaitian CreoleKoreanRussianSpanish, and Urdu).

Please find information on registration documents, and addresses for Registration and Family Welcome Centers, below.

Parents must bring their child(ren) with them to register. The following documents are required:

  • Child’s birth certificate, passport, or record of baptism which includes the date of birth, or other official document of age (See Chancellor’s Regulation A-101 for documents accepted for proof of age)
  • Immunization records
  • Latest report card/transcript (if available)
  • Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available)

In addition, parents must demonstrate proof of residency which may be verified by any two of the following:

  • A lease agreement, deed or mortgage statement for the residence
  • A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (e.g., National Grid or Con Edison), must be dated within the past 60 days
  • A bill for cable television services provided to the residence; must include the name of the parent and the address of the residence and be dated within the past 60 days
  • Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency with the resident’s name and address, must be dated within the past 60 days
  •  A current property tax bill for the residence
  • A water bill for the residence dated within the past 90 days
  • Rent receipt which includes the address of the residence, must be dated within the past 60 days
  • State, city, or other government issued identification (including an IDNYC card), which has not expired and includes the address of residence
  • Income tax form for the last calendar year
  • Official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit which has not expired
  • Official payroll documentation from an employer issued within the past 60 days such as a pay stub with home address, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate); must include home address and be dated within the past 60 days
  • Voter registration documents, which include the name of the parent and the address of residence
  • Unexpired membership documents based upon residency (e.g., neighborhood residents’ association), which include the name of the parent and the address of residence
  • Evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers documents issued within the past 60 days with name of child and address of residence

*Please note: Families residing in temporary housing are not required to produce the above documentation in order to enroll.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Harlem World Magazine, 2521 1/2 west 42nd street, Los Angeles, CA, 90008, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact
We're your source for local coverage, we count on your support. SUPPORT US!
Your support is crucial in maintaining a healthy democracy and quality journalism. With your contribution, we can continue to provide engaging news and free access to all.
accepted credit cards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Articles