With Memorial Day weekend just a few days away, WalletHub today followed up its study on the Best States for Military Retirees by releasing its 2016 Memorial Day By The Numbers Report. This includes an expert Q&A on the meaning of Memorial Day and the manner in which we celebrate it as well an infographic full of factoids – both serious and fun – about various facets of the holiday.
You can find a handful of highlights of the report below.
- 42+ Mil: Americans have served the country in war time.
- 1.3 Mil: Members of the armed services have lost their lives in conflict.
- 89% – Of Memorial Day weekend travelers will drive to their destination (2.1% increase from 2015).
- 818: Hot dogs are consumed every second from Memorial Day to Labor Day (7 billion total).
- 25%: More home-cooking fires happen on Memorial Day than average.
- 900K+: Expected participants and spectators in Rolling Thunder, the annual Memorial Day motorcycle rally in Washington, DC.
For the complete Memorial Day 2016 Report, please visit: