The Schomburg Center’s annual Fall Open House is an opportunity for our audiences and patrons to access and engage with our collections, exhibitions, and programmatic offerings in an evening filled with conversations, performances, films and art.
This year’s program, titled The Black Fantastic, focuses on the following themes: radical storytelling and black speculative fiction; black futurism; protest; and black survival.
Meet our librarians, archivists and curators as you take a fantastic journey through the Schomburg’s collection of manuscripts, visual art, photographs and moving images.
Become a Harlem insider - Sign-Up for our Weekly Newsletter!
Wednesday, October 7, at 6:00 PM
- Black Radical Imagination | Film program and conversation with Erin Christovale and AMir George
- Octavia’s Brood: Science Fiction from Social Movements | A reading and Q&A Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha, Jelani Wilson, Vagabond, Alixa Garcia and co-editor, Adrienne Maree Brown
- Confuserella | A performance by Ariel Jackson’s alter ego
- Harlem is… Theater | Mix, mingle and discuss the legacy of the American Negro Theatre with the Harlem Arts Alliance & Community Works
- Langston Cosmogram Remix | A digital media display of our cosmogram by Nettrice Gaskins
- Performance with author N.K. Jemisin and sound artist, Val Jeanty
To view the entire evening schedule and to RSVP for this free event, click here.
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, 515 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY, 10037, (917) 275-6975.