Nasty weather around the East Coast dampens holiday spirits as millions from Harlem to Harare are traveling for Thanksgiving.
Storms have already caused major problems parts of the southwest and south, causing hundreds of flights to be cancelled. As the storm continues east, some of the country’s busiest airports in New York, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Boston and Charlotte, N.C., could see big delays.
If weather slows down your holiday travel, here are some tips for rebooking flights and getting last-minute hotel rooms:
- Use apps like HotelTonight and Priceline to find last-minute hotel discounts for that night. Warning: Many of the rooms are non-refundable when booked.
- If you miss your flight connection – or bad weather causes delays – get in line to speak to a customer service representative. But also, call the airline directly. If the phone lines are jammed, try the airline’s overseas numbers. You’ll pay long-distance rates, but might not have to wait. (Add those numbers to your phone now.) Finally, consider sending a Tweet to the airline.
- Consider buying a one-day pass to the airline lounge. For one thing, there are usually free drinks and light snacks. But the real secret to the lounges is that the airline staffs them with some of its best – and friendliest – ticket agents. The lines are shorter and these agents are magically able to find empty seats. One-day passes typically cost $50 but discounts can sometimes be found in advance online.
Subway and Rail Information
Here are links to information for everything from subway schedules and service interruptions, to rail schedules around New York and New Jersey :
- New York City Subway Schedules
- MTA Trip Planner
- NYC DOT Traffic Advisories
- Long Island Railroad
- Metro-North Railroad
- New Jersey Transit Rail Info
- PATH Rail Info
- Port Authority Air Train to JFK
- Port Authority Air Train to Newark Liberty Airport
- Staten Island Rail Schedules
Bus Information Here are contact numbers and links to information about bus service in the area, including MTA and NJTransit.
Airports: Links to Information about Area Airports and Airlines
- 5 Airports That Make Your Layover Unbearable (businessbee.com)
- 5 Thanksgiving Facts You Didn’t Know (lakeside.com)