Recruiting And Training The next generation of journalist in Harlem
Since 2010, Harlem World Magazine’s, Harlem Youth Publishing Empowerment (H. Y. P. E.), has been our lead program at Harlem World Cares. HYPE is a community-based youth publishing organization that has worked with thousands of youth in-and-out of Harlem. Our mission is to recruit and train the next generation of journalists between the ages of 13-17. H. Y. P. E. empowers youth with transferable technical skills through the following program.
Created in partnership by Harlem World Magazine, founder, visual artist at Tisdale Studio, and educator, who is STEAM/STEM-trained, working with Harlem Children’s Zone, and training interns from Student Youth Employment (SYE) program, guided by program and Research Assistant / Project Manager-Nneka R. Ibekwe at Institute for Urban and Minority Education (IUME) at Teachers College at Columbia University.
Students learn digital publishing industry skills:
- Photography / Video
- Digital Publishing and Design
- Writing and
During each program and internship, students go through a job interview role play, college counseling, and continue an after program consultation with students or in as needed basis with Teachers College at Columbia University in Harlem, NY.
- Youth 13-17 years of age have an unemployment rate of 45%-65%
- Teenagers are “stopped and frisked” by the NYPD more than 30-40 times a month
- 35% of youth are homeless
- 70% of gun violence involves people of color
- Girls are 4 times more likely to be affected by the AIDs virus than boys
Our Projects & Partners
- IUME at Teachers College at Columbia University
- Project STAY
- The Danny Tisdale for Change Projects
- I Have a Dream Foundation
- The Graham Windham Beacon Center school‘s Graham Windham H.Y.P.E.
- The Beyond the Bricks Foundation
- Brooklyn College BCAL Spot program to name a few
Students spend ten weeks with our editorial staff led by Harlem World Magazine’s, Danny Tisdale.
Your donation to Harlem World Cares helps us to continue doing our work: our group devised performances, our annual H.Y.P.E. Summer program, our 15 years of work.
Call 646.216.8698 or contact us here if you are a non-profit or a for-profit to help raise money for HYPE.
Click here to find out more about Harlem World Cares.
Harlem World Cares, do you?
Call 646.216.8698 or e-mail us here if you have ideas, needs, in-kind donations, financial donations, etc., that benefit a charity or the community in Harlem.
Harlem World Cares is filing for our 501(c)3 nonprofit organization status. In the meantime the Y.E.S. Foundation will work as a conduit. Harlem World Magazine is supported by individual contributions and membership (click here to join), corporate sponsorships, events and grants. A complete list of Harlem World donors and sponsors can be viewed here.